IMPORTS: $6.608 BILLION
POPULATION: 6,014 MILLION
TOTAL AREA: 130,375 Km2
CURRENCY: CÓRDOBA (NIO)
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: SPANISH
Contracting Party of the Paris Convention: YES
Contracting Party of the Patent Cooperation
Treaty (PCT): YES. Due term for entry into national phase: 30 months.
Patent Law in Force:
Patent Law 354/2000 (modified by Law 574 and Law 634)
Types of protection available:
Patent of Invention; Utility Model.
First filing requirements with the local Patent Office for inventions made by nationals:
Formal filing requirements:
• Power of Attorney duly notarized and legalized within 60 days from office action.
• Assignment document issued by the inventors in favor of applicant within 60 days from office action (which may be substituted by a sworn declaration by the representative).
• Certified copy of priority application within 90 days from office action (not required for entry into national phase of PCT applications provided that PCT/IB304 form is available).
Filing of the patent application in a foreign language:
Substantive examination must be requested by the applicant:
YES, within 6 months from publication.
Search report must be requested by the applicant:
Observations by third parties:
YES, at any time prior to grant.
Average time from filing to grant:
Term of protection for patents:
20 years from filing date.
Term of protection for utility models:
10 years from filing date.
Differences between utility model and patent:
• UM suitable for utensils, instruments, tools, apparatus, devices, or any parts or improvements thereof, but not to chemical products, methods or uses;
• Lower threshold for inventive step.
yearly also during prosecution of the application.
Marking of the product with the application/ patent number: