IMPORTS: $370.7 BILLION
POPULATION: 125,4 MILLION
TOTAL AREA: 1,972,550 Km2
CURRENCY: PESO (MXN)
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: SPANISH
Contracting Party of the Paris Convention: YES
Contracting Party of the Patent Cooperation
Treaty (PCT): YES. Due term for entry into national phase: 30 months.
Patent Law in Force:
IP Law of November 23, 1994
Types of protection available:
Patent of Invention; Utility Model.
First filing requirements with the local Patent Office for inventions made by nationals:
Formal filing requirements:
• Power of Attorney merely signed (no legalization required) within 60 days from office action.
• Assignment document from the inventors merely signed (no legalization required) within 60 days from office action (not required for entry into national phase of PCT applications).
• Certified copy of priority application within 90 days from filing (not required for entry into national phase of PCT applications provided that PCT/IB304 form is available).
Filing of the patent application in a foreign language:
Accepted. Late submission of the Spanish translation is possible within 60 days from office action.
Substantive examination must be requested by the applicant:
Search report must be requested by the applicant:
Observations by third parties:
YES, within 6 months from publication.
Average time from filing to grant:
Term of protection for patents:
20 years from filing date.
Term of protection for utility models:
10 years from filing date.
Differences between utility model and patent:
• UM suitable for utensils, instruments, tools, apparatus, devices, or any parts or improvements thereof, but not to chemical products, methods or uses;
• Lower threshold for inventive step.
payment for periods of 5 years after grant.
Marking of the product with the application/ patent number: